Tennessee Technology Legislation
 Legislation
 New Meetings set
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SKozicki

243 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Send SKozicki an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From the committee:

The next meetings of the Joint Committee on Communications Security will be held
Tuesday, October 28 at 1:00 p.m.
and Wednesday, October 29 at 9:00 a.m.
in 12/14 Legislative Plaza

Agendas will be available before the meetings.

Dubber

442 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dubber's Homepage  Send Dubber a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting committee title, when did the subject matter move to 'Communications Security'? I'm even more interested, now :)
Go to Top of Page

Tony

401 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  11:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tony's Homepage  Send Tony an AOL message  Send Tony a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dubber, that's not a change. The original joint resolution to form this committee (back on May 27) was titled "General Assembly, Studies - Creates special joint committee to study communications security."

For more information, refer to our Resource Library under "Documents | Tennessee General Assembly."

As for the meeting, I'll get it on our home page pronto.
Go to Top of Page

Dubber

442 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dubber's Homepage  Send Dubber a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, I [missed / misread / ignored] the committee title.
This will make any discussions even more important, though. Since it sounds like the committee can affect more than the original bill affected.
Go to Top of Page

Tony

401 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  11:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tony's Homepage  Send Tony an AOL message  Send Tony a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, with "communications security" in the title, it might have more far-reaching effects than a harmless "cable theft" bill. (Why am I so sarcastic today? Must be the coffee.)

Anyway, I updated the home page with the meeting info. Thanks, Scott!
Go to Top of Page

SKozicki

243 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  1:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Send SKozicki an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the term 'communications security' was used because that's at the heart of what we're talking about. The proponents wanted to call it 'cable theft' and we were fond of calling it 'cable monopoly'. This seems like a good compromise.
Go to Top of Page

jody

395 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  3:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Send jody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just making sure...the next two meetings are on the 28th and 29th of October? For some reason I had tomorrow and Wednesday down. I hope several people are planning on going.
Go to Top of Page

Scott Lyon

298 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  4:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're scheduled to speak on October 29 at 9:00am, coincidentally with the rest of the opponents to the bill. I encourage everyone opposed to this bill to spread the word as widely as possible what's going on and hope to see you all at the committee meetings. I know that attending these meetings is not always convenient with everyone's schedule, but I would like to organize attendance in the future so that we can appear in shifts. This way we can avoid either having too many or too few people at any particular meeting.

I would also encourage everyone to reach out to friends, family, co-workers (and strangers for that matter) and ask for their support in opposing this bill. Since we started this group last session, I've heard from a lot of people who are opposed to this bill and would like an opportunity to help out. But I think there are even more people out there who either don't know what's going on or don't know how to get involved. Invite them to sign up at the website, and we can always find some way for them to help.

Last session we succeeded in stopping the SDMCA from being adopted in Tennessee. This session, we have something bigger in mind.

Edited by - Scott Lyon on 10/23/2003 4:55:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

jody

395 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  4:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Send jody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Someone should send that very announcement out to Glenn Reynolds and Bill Hobbs.
Go to Top of Page

utman

244 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  01:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit utman's Homepage  Send utman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glenn reynolds has gone under from his workload the past couple of days. Instapundit only shows one post today.
Go to Top of Page

Dubber

442 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  2:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dubber's Homepage  Send Dubber a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed Bill, he replied that he'd be blogging on this 'later today.' Hopefully he's researching, as I type this and, will have some good info (beyond ours) to share with all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tennessee Digital Freedom Forum © 2003 TNDF.net Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000